We are an English-speaking international congregation living in Hong Kong. No matter where we originate from or how long we are in Hong Kong, it is our common faith in Christ and our desire to grow in Him by our obedience to His Word, that brings us together to worship Him. If that is your desire, we welcome you to come join with us in our journey.
Jonathan and Catherine Johnson have been serving at Island Baptist Church for over 3 years, with Pastor Johnson being called as interim pastor in 2015. They have lived in Hong Kong for 5 years, ministering in the New Territories and Tung Chung, as well as serving in churches throughout the region. Before coming to Hong Kong, the Johnsons briefly ministered in Northeast China and traveled to various cities in China. The Johnsons both grew up in pastors’ homes, and were trained in Christian university and seminary in the United States. The Johnsons have 3 children: Steven, Lucy, and Nicholas, who love to spend time with the people at I.B.C. The Johnson’s desire is to serve the international and local communities surrounding Island Baptist Church through sharing the Gospel, strengthening the brethren through God’s word, and magnifying the Lord Jesus Christ in all that the church does. Their prayer is that people see God’s love reflected in our love for one another at Island Baptist Church.
Dear brothers and sisters,
Due to the outbreak of the novel Coronavirus and its impact for us all in Hong Kong, Island Baptist Church is adopting the following measures for February 2nd:
• The main service (11am) will be held as normal.There will be no Sunday School (10am) or afternoon (2:30pm) service.
• If you are not comfortable traveling, or are sick, please stay home. We have uploaded a pre-recorded video of the message today here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiGXgfwFxcg
• Those who attend are requested to (1) wear masks; (2) do not shake hands this week 😀; use provided sanitizer. If you do not have a mask at this time, please stay home – due to the mask shortages IBC is unable to provide these. This includes children, so please plan accordingly. If numbers are low we may be unable to provide nursery or children’s classes.
• Also, if you are recently returning from affected areas in China, or have been in contact with persons/places affected in HK, we would advise you to stay home this week (as following the observation period various governments have recommended: ~1 week).
• Our expectation is that this week and next (first half of February) will show if the situation becomes contained or worsens – we will revise our plans next week and inform you as soon as possible.
In the meanwhile, let us be in prayer for one another and for the general population.
As Christ comforted his apostles with His good plan and the presence of the comforting Holy Spirit, let us remember His words:
”Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me…
… Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”
John 14:1, 27
God bless, Pastor J